St. Paul's Memorial, Charlottesville
Associate Rector & Chaplain
|Date Posted||March 6, 2018|
Virginia (Mary Thorpe & Ed Keithly)
|Health Benefits||Full Family|
|Communicants in Good Standing||1100|
|Average Sunday Attendance||220|
Our University of Virginia undergraduate Canterbury fellowship is experiencing rapid growth, engaging up to fifty students regularly, including a core of about twenty. The Canterbury ministry includes a commitment to intentional residential community in our Canterbury House, adjacent to the church.
We are a growing, intergenerational, university-oriented, outreach-and-justice-minded parish located directly across the street from the Central Grounds of the University of Virginia.
Opportunity to grow Canterbury and parish with self-differentiated new rector, Will Peyton, who started in March 2017.
The next Associate Rector and University Chaplain will devote half of his or her time to Canterbury, and half to the general ministry of the parish, seeking and creating opportunities to build relationships between students and parishioners of all ages.
As Chaplain, the Associate will be primarily responsible for
- Pastoral care for the Canterbury undergraduate fellowship.
- Facilitating the inclusion of students in parish governance, ministries, and fellowship, and identifying and cultivating gifts for leadership in the Church among students.
- Supporting and empowering student leadership in developing Canterbury programs, including retreats and mission trips.
- Programming related to the intersection of faith and prayer with academic and professional vocation for our Skinner-scholar community of Episcopalian undergraduate and graduate students.
- Raising the public profile of St. Paul’s and Canterbury at the University through invitational programming, intentional relationship building, and presence in interdenominational and interfaith ministry groups and forums at the University.
Please submit a résumé and OTM portfolio, along with a letter to the Rector describing your interest in the position and why you think you might be called to this ministry, no later than March 21.
Application materials should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org or 1700 University Avenue, Charlottesville, Va. 22903.