Church of the Epiphany
|Date Posted||September 15, 2017|
Bethlehem (Anne Kitch)
|Communicants in Good Standing||126|
|Average Sunday Attendance||60|
|Child Population in Church School||24|
|Adult Population in Church School||15|
|Teacher Population in Church School||7|
Faithful, suburban congregation with a strong history of Christian education and youth ministries. Church is situated outside of Scranton on 25 wooded acres. Epiphany lists these as its strengths:
- Dedicated core of parishioners ready for change.
- Active support of missionary and outreach programs, including support of a parish built school in Uganda
- Commitment to intergenerational learning, faithful Sunday School staff, remarkable Vacation Bible School offered covenant congregation, Trinity Lutheran Church. Acolytes have participated in the Acolyte Festival at the National Cathedral for 30 consecutive years.
- Peaceful and engaged worship supported by talented choir director and an organist/pianist on staff, plus guitarist, cellist, and more musical talent within the congregation.
Like similar congregations, Epiphany has experienced a decline in members and finances. During an extended interim, the leadership of Epiphany has engaged in conversation about identity and mission, and has identified the following challenges:
- To become a welcoming church to all people; one that rejuvenates the soul and cares for others; one that becomes a magnet for people and engages us in more mission.
- To improve personal stewardship to the church. Have begun to put in place congregational renewal programs to invigorate, change, and excite the congregation about financial action to strengthen the church for the future.
- To increase level of active parishioners.
Wonderful opportunity for a priest interested in adaptive leadership and community building, or one with some experience looking for a first in-charge position. Candidates with experience in leading congregations to financial clarity, in appreciative inquiry, and in creative leveraging of available resources, would be ideal.
The congregation desires to move toward having a full time priest. The three year priest-in-charge contract can extended and/or converted to rector.
For more information or to apply, please contact The Rev. Canon Anne E. Kitch 610-691-5655.